1.14.2013

On living, sans an internet connection.

Lipstick - "Russian Red" by MAC | Blazer - Thrifted | Necklace - H&M | "Nirvana" Shirt - Brandy Melville 
Basically, I can't. 

In a time where my current employer requires me to stand for 8 hours and do menial labour, I have no more school work or school, for that matter— the concept of having to physically leave home in order to write is both foreign and annoying. Shouldn't I be living that wonderful time of my life between getting my degree and getting my first, "real-world" job in bed; in my pyjamas and with my laptop comfortably resting on my duvet while I take my sweet time perusing job postings and my favourite blogs? I feel like I'm at least entitled to a few weeks of that, aren't I?

The worst part was that I had it. I had that perfect set-up, wherein I didn't have to move, save for the occasional washroom breaks and trips to the kitchen so I could make myself a grilled-cheese sandwich and other such culinary wonders. I was living the life, nay, the dream, until everything crumbled around me with the sudden shut down of my home internet connection.


That fateful moment when my computer and my wi-fi ceased connecting forced me to leave the warm and comfortable confines of my apartment and venture out into the seasonably mild, but still cold, Canadian weather in search of the perfect cafe to indefinitely rest my computer— and my rear end. This seems simple enough, I know. I also suspect that those of you reading this lament is thinking that I'm just a whiny drama queen who needs to just get over it, but anyone who has ever tried to work at a cafe/ the library/ a park bench with a nearby password-free wi-fi connection knows how difficult it is: You can't pee without packing up your things and taking them with you, only to discover that your previous spot has been taken once you return. However, if you hold your pee, you could be looking at hours upon hours of the under-the-table, I-have-to-pee shuffle as you rush to finish all your work so you can finally pack up and leave your table for good.

More important than the urge to urinate, however, was my realization of how much I actually rely on the internet. It's become an extension of what I do and who I am, it seems. And considering I still remember the days when being on the internet at home meant being unable to receive phone calls, I wondered when being without it became such a problem?**

**Thoughts of a sleep-deprived caffeine addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment